Friday, January 13, 2012

Beastly by Alex Flinn

Summary
I am a beast. A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog, but a horrible new creature who walks upright – a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I’m talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It’s no deformity, no disease. And I’ll stay this way forever – ruined – unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I’ll tell you. I’ll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and a perfect life. And then, I’ll tell you how I became perfectly beastly.
 

Review
Beastly is the second fairy-tale re-telling I have read by Alex Flinn and I was not impressed. I honestly much preferred A Kiss in Time. There  was just something very incomplete about this book. The dialogue was awkward, the character development was rushed, and the transitions weren't smooth. The relationship development of the two main characters, Kyle and Lindy, was unrealistic and rushed. However, despite all the criticism I have for this book, it was a quick and light read. I finished it pretty quickly and it was a page turner as the font size was huge and chapters were short. If you're looking to get into Alex Flinn's fairy-tale re-tellings, I recommend A Kiss in Time. (Review here).

Although this is a book review, I have to say this... Beastly the movie was much better than the book. Yes, one of those rare and sad times when the movie is better than the book. I'm sad to say that if the screen play was the book it would've been much better. So basically: Watch the movie but don't read the book.

Rating
✰✰ Taste it :/


No comments:

Post a Comment