Friday, January 6, 2012

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

Summary
Nine-year-old Oskar Schell has embarked on an urgent, secret mission that will take him through the five boroughs of New York. His goal is to find the lock that matches a mysterious key that belonged to his father, who died in the World Trade Center on the morning of September 11. This seemingly impossible task will bring Oskar into contact with survivors of all sorts on an exhilarating, affecting, often hilarious, and ultimately healing journey.

Review  
Wow! This book was absolutely amazing! I really enjoyed it. What I love about this book is the writing style, not so much the plot. Jonathan Safran Foer's writing is captivating! I wish I could write like him...
  
Oskar Schell was one of those characters that you rarely meet in books or in real life as a matter of fact. He is definitely not the average nine-year-old boy. He was smart, witty, sweet, and down-right hilarious (even if it may be unintentional). I found myself cracking up countless times in this book. His character really grew on me throughout the book.This book is told through two different peoples' perspective (Oskar and another person) which I found confusing at first. I much preferred reading the chapters that were in Oskar's perspective because they were funnier and had a light-hearted sense.

I loved the pictures in this book as I found them to be very thoughtful and was relevant to the story line. The author plays with the words on the page (ex. sometimes there is only a sentence on a page) so you find yourself turning pages like crazy until you're done! 

This was a great read and I definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it yet :)

Rating 
✰✰✰✰✰ 5 stars - Digest it and eat it again! :D 

No comments:

Post a Comment