Sunday, April 8, 2012

Looking For Alaska by John Green

Looking for AlaskaTitle: Looking For Alaska
Author: John Green | Website
Publisher: Puffin
Release Date: March 3rd 2005
Age Group: Young Adult
Rating: ♥♥♥ [3]
Source: Library
Miles Halter is fascinated by famous last words and tired of his safe life at home. He leaves for boarding school to seek what the dying poet Francois Rabelais called the "Great Perhaps." Much awaits Miles at Culver Creek, including Alaska Young. Clever, funny, screwed-up, and dead sexy, Alaska will pull Miles into her labyrinth and catapult him into the Great Perhaps.
I was eager to read this book as I had never read a John Green book before and I wanted to hop onto the John Green bandwagon. Maybe because I was expecting this to be the best book in the world, I was disappointed. If I had just randomly picked this book from the library shelf, I’m sure I might’ve been way more impressed but with all the hype surrounding this book, I couldn’t help but feel unsatisfied.

The way the book was set up was really interesting. There are two parts to the book, the before and the after. This made me very curious and want to keep reading to find out what after was. I thought that the structure of the story was very unique. I found that, to me, the plot was unpredictable. I often found myself surprised at events that happened which kept me wanting to read more.

I didn't particularly like Miles' character because I sometimes found him annoying. However, he had a very strong voice in the story and I loved the idea of him being obsessed with last words, it was a very unique character trait. On the other hand, I absolutely adored Alaska. She seemed fun, adventurous, and one of those people who always knows what to do and say. I also liked the Colonel, Takumi, and Lara and the friendships between all five of them. John Green did a great job with character detail as we were able to get to know each character well throughout the course of the story. I think that Looking for Alaska is one of those books that are made by the characters, and not the actual story.  

-Quote-
"I found myself thinking about President William McKinley, the third American president to be assassinated. He lived for several days after he was shot, and toward the end, his wife started crying and screaming, "I want to go, too! I want to go, too!" And with his last measure of strength, McKinley turned to her and spoke his last words: "We are all going."" (120) -Looking For Alaska by John Green
For those who haven't, check this book out if you are craving some contemporary. Don't worry John Green fans, I'm still looking forward to checking out more John Green books. Comment below your favorite John Green book! :)

-Stella

No comments:

Post a Comment