Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2)Title: The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #2)
Author: Rick Riordan | Website
Publisher: Disney Hyperion Books
Release Date: April 1st 2006
Age Group: Middle Grade
Rating: ♥♥♥ [3] 
Source: Library
After a summer spent trying to prevent a catastrophic war among the Greek gods, Percy Jackson is finding his seventh-grade school year unnervingly quiet. His biggest problem is dealing with his new friend, Tyson, a six-foot-three, mentally challenged homeless kid who follows Percy everywhere, making it hard for Percy to have any normal friends. But things don't stay quiet for long.

Percy soon discovers there is trouble at Camp Half-Blood: the magical borders that protect Half-Blood Hill have been poisoned by a mysterious enemy, and the only safe haven for demigods is on the verge of being overrun by mythological monsters. To save the camp, Percy needs the help of his best friend, Grover, who has been taken prisoner on an island somewhere in the Sea of Monsters, the dangerous waters Greek heroes have sailed for millennia. Only today, the Sea of Monsters goes by a new name: The Bermuda Triangle.

Together with his friends, Percy must retrieve the Golden Fleece from the Island of the Cyclopes or Camp Half-Blood will be destroyed. But first, Percy will learn a stunning new secret about his family, one that makes him question whether being claimed as Poseidon's son is an honor or simply a cruel joke.
I'm probably the last person to read this series as pretty much everyone has read and loved this series. There is so much hype surrounding the Percy Jackson series that I just had to read it! I read the first book in the series, The Lighting Thief, around this time last year and I thoroughly enjoyed it so I decided to continue on with the series. I have no knowledge on Greek Mythology whatsoever so I loved that this book taught me the basics!  

Probably my favorite aspect of this book was the Greek Mythology! I especially learned a lot of the big names such as the gods and heroes. This book was as action packed as the first one! I liked how the first book and the second book were both complete and could be two stand-alones. But the cliffhanger at the end of this book was OH MY GOSH. I'm am going to have to pick up the third book REAL soon!  

I love all the characters and settings! The characters were all very likeable and this book introduced more new characters that I think are great new additions to the series! I can't wait to see how they play a role in the following books.

However, there were some aspects of this book that made it an irritating and slow read. This series seems like the child version of Harry Potter. There were many times in this book that seemed too much like Harry Potter which made me a little annoyed. Another problem I had was that I found this book to be a little too childish at times. Unlike Harry Potter which can be enjoyed by all ages, I think that children 15 and under would really enjoy this book, but anyone over the age of 15 would probably notice the slight childish qualities in this series. I don't know... does anyone else agree with me on this or am I the only one? I think that this is the only flaw in the series.

-Quote-

"Hermes gazed up at the stars. "My dear young cousin, if there's one thing I've learned over the eons, it's that you can't give up on your family, no matter how tempting they make it. It doesn't matter if they hate you, or embarrass you..."" (104) -The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
I will be continuing to read and review this series so stay tuned! Question: Who is you favorite Greek God? Comment below! :) I'll have to say Athena, because although I don't really know much about the Greek Gods, from what I know, she is smart and screams girl power! 


-Stella

No comments:

Post a Comment